Friday, January 15, 2010

Catching up

The third year of the Bead Journal Project (BJP) begins this month and I have signed on again.  There is only one small difficulty..... that I have yet to finish my twelve BJPs for the second year (Sept 2008 - Aug 2009).   Yes, I realize that I frequently run behind .... but this is the year that I am catching up!

After many ideas/sizes/themes thought of and then discarded, my second series of BJPs will feature faces, specifically profiles.  The beading will be enhancements to the image.  Here is the first ...

"Wired"
The beads are tiny coils of wire that I found at Z Bead in Houston.  I have wanted to use them for ages, and at last they debut here.  The piece measures 6" x 8" approximately.  As I plan to stitch all the BJP pieces together, I have left the edges unfinished.

The second one began with this drawing stitched onto an osnaburg remnant.
Do you see the blue thread?  This was in the bobbin and actually shows up better than the needle thread, so this profile has just been flipped (yes, flexibility is a good thing while creating ... guess my profiles will face either left or right ...)

While dreaming of what to do next, I spied the arrow heads given me by a dear friend Louise T .... voila

Do arrows make for a good headpiece or hair?
hmmmm.... needs editing and tweeking and what ? .....


This October profile needs a more striking face.  This brown is the right shade to accent the chosen arrowheads.  Auditioning other beads to possibly use ...
 
"Stone Age"
Enhancements stitched on include: beads for additional hair, a necklace to adorn the long neck, a button for an eye, a little embroidery... She measures approximately 7" x 9"  which is larger than the first piece.

Now to prep the third one .... I may be running more than a year late with these pieces, but I have decided to start one at a time and finish it (or 75% finished) before proceeding to the next one.  I am also challenging myself to get 8 finished this month, and the last 4 soon after that ..... so I can begin my third BJP series before I fall too far behind!

2 comments:

feather said...

Love both of these pieces. I also love the idea that you're taking time to catch up on last year's project. Me too!

Robin said...

You've set yourself QUITE a challenge, Cathy!!! I love, LOVE your Stone Age face... It's fantastic how you used the arrow heads. Take your time... these are worth the effort!

Robin A.