I've been away for ages and ages and am missing my blogging and art friends! It is now summer, former jobs and obligations are complete (or my portion is on summer-hold), and my health is on the mend (minor bout with pneumonia this spring was quite an interference, but mandated a slow-down which I enjoyed by reading reading and reading some more!)
Have you read any great books lately? If so, post the title/author in the comments as I'm always looking for another great book to get lost in.
I have recently read:
1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Barrows.
Set in England in post WWII, the entire plot (including stories during & post German-Occupation, and a book club) is told entirely through letters, letters to and from various characters in this novel. It is totally fascinating! Read more about this book by clicking here.
2. The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
Set in Renaissance Florence just as the Medici family was losing their command of the city-state, this tells an intriguing story of a young woman who yearns to be an artist. The Amazon link is here.
3. The Penguin Who Knew Too Much by Donna Andrews
For a lighter read, this is the eighth in a series of enjoyable murder mysteries featuring Meg Langslow. The first in the series, Murder with Peacocks, won several acclaimed mystery awards. Click here for more on this author and her books.
4. The Quilter's Homecoming by Jennifer Chiaverini
I am just beginning this book from the Elm Creek Quilts series. It continues the story of Elizabeth Nelson, the Bergstrom cousin who married in Pennsylvania then moved to Southern California. I have always enjoyed how Chiaverini weaves quilt making into her stories of living, and am behind on her latest additions to this series. Her website is here.
Hmmm, what ever shall I read next?
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Hi Cathy,
You know I LOVE to read:) I am grateful for your list! Looks like lots of good stuff. It is always great to have a recommendation.
I am reading "The Wordy Shipmates" by Sarah Vowel. This one is about the pilgrims. Anyone who can make that funny is a good writer! I'm also reading another historical book, "Invention of Air" by Steven Johnson. That is about Joseph Priestley (chemistry!!!) and his involvement in science, politics and religion. Facinating! I like to read American history between Memorial Day and the 4th.
There is more!! You know I am aways reading about health. "The Myth of Alzheimers." A very very good book by Peter Whitehouse MD. He has a 30 yr career in the field. Basically, he says we have to stop medicalizing what is probably normal aging. Excellent book, with lots of compassion and positive idea.
Post a Comment