Saturday, August 15, 2009

2009 Breaking Traditions ....

With this year's theme of Home, proceeds benefiting A Place to Bark, my earliest idea for this exhibit was of my cat Tabitha. She was a wonderful calico kitten -- a birthday gift many moons ago when my family first moved to Texas in the middle of my sixth grade year. Growing up military, I was accustomed to moving and perpetually being the new student in school, but this was the first time we moved during the school year, and we moved just before my birthday. My frequent request for a kitten was finally granted that year. Tabitha brightened my childhood, living to a ripe old age of nearly 15.

However my quilt for this year's Breaking Tradition show is not of a cat. In fact here is an early photo ....


Instead of memorializing my beloved pet (and also honoring the beneficiaries of this year's show), I began creating a yellow brick house. The bricks are made of hand-torn handmade yellow paper. This was taken while auditioning backgrounds .... needless to say, this batik did not survive the cut.

To personalize my little home, I added photos of my dearest ones in the windows -- and yours truly is about to walk through the front door.


Inspired by two Beyond the Border's friends Connie Fahrion (with her thread trash technique and article in Quilting Arts) and Mary Ann Littlejohn (with her free-motion embroidery tree postcard), I created a tree for the sideyard of my quilt.

I was surprised at the fun I had playing and creating with loose threads and yarns. Thank you Connie & Mary Ann for the inspiration!

Also, thank you Lynn Krawczyk for changing the orginal 'must receive by' date to a 'must postmark by' date, as this enabled me time to finish and mail my entry in time for this year's show!

To see a full view of my finished quilt, stay tuned for the opening of the 2009 Breaking Traditions Art Quilt Exhibit later in September at the American Sewing Expo in Novi, Michigan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture of Ronnie

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Cathy, this is really nice. I like how you have personalized the little house with your beautiful family! Love the tree, too.