Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Waves ...

This is a small piece, approximately 12" square.

I started this piece years ago, when my Beyond the Borders bee spent time exploring exercises from Color and Composition for the Creative Quilter by Katie Pasquini Masopust and Brett Barker.  My plan was to finish this aging UFO for the upcoming ALQS#7 swap (whose deadline is fast approaching).

This detail shows the echo quilting of the seagulls far off in the distance.


This detail shows the rippling waves both in the applique shapes and the quilted lines.

Upon seeing this finished piece, my husband promptly claimed it for his office.  So this small quilt will not be appearing in ALQS#7 after all.  I must look at the other design studies from that day with BTB to see if there is another one that I might finish for this swap.   I plan to explore more of the exercises described in the book, too.  Masopust and Barker have devised a simple 9-patch system to teach composition.  I strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in exploring color and composition found in all quilts, both traditional and art quilts.


For more on this book click here. 
Note:  It is available in digital versions, too.

1 comment:

Nana said...

This is very, very pretty and lovely to look at.

Nana