Sunday, July 26, 2015

Blanket stitch

The second stitch for Take a Stitch Tuesday is the Buttonhole stitch, also known as the Blanket stitch.  This is the first embroidery stitch that I learned -- when I was a Brownie Girl Scout, we made "sit-upons" using 2 squares of red checkered  flannel-backed vinyl, with folded newspapers for batting.  We stitched these squared together using the Blanket stitch.  I believe I may still have my sit-upon tucked away somewhere .....  We did the same project the next year, but upgraded to a foam cushion in the middle, replacing the newspapers.  The trusty blanket stitch was used again, too.

This week, I used the blanket stitch to outline a simple amoeba flower shape as a nod to the use of the blanket stitch for applique work in traditional quilting.

Join us on Facebook (FB) with our "TAST - Take a Stitch Tuesday" which is an open group.  Sharon Boggon, of Pin Tangle fame, posts a new embroidery stitch every Tuesday (it often appears usually on Monday nights - as she is posting from Australia) and includes many eye-candy inspiring samples as well as links to more "how-to" steps for each TAST Stitch-of-the-Week.

Click here to see those posts or click here to see my "Buttonhole" sampler I made back in January 2012.

Sneak at the next stitch: It is the Feather stitch!  click here for more on the feather stitch

No comments: