Wednesday, June 11, 2008

More bowls

I wanted to share a few of the other bowls donated by my Beyond the Borders (BTB) friends to Empty Bowls last month, which raised over $40,000. The bowls that guests take home are concrete reminders of the empty bowls in the world, especially at mealtimes.

This fiber art bowl was created by Connie Fahrion. My photo does not show the cute little frog (button or bead) stitched to the inside of the bowl. I love the button and fiber trim along the rim.

Linda T. Minton made this wonderful tiny bowl by adding decorative beading over a miniature glass bowl. This view is from overhead looking down onto the bowl. She didn't complete it in time for this year's Empty Bowls -- so be sure to come early to next year's event!

Liz Broussard wove her bowl with strips made from paper bags that had been stitched and painted -- quite fun, unique and very delicate. Thoughtful Liz made a fiber box for her bowl to travel in too.

Here are the two bowls that I brought home. As you can see, neither is a fiber art bowl, but I love them dearly. A local potter, J. Calder, made both of my bowls.

I recently learned that Volunteers at this event are paid with a ticket (for lunch -- a bowl of soup, and your choice of a bowl) so I plan to volunteer next year, especially if my friends Scott and Tammy remind me! Look for an Empty Bowls event coming to your area.

3 comments:

Any Smith said...

Cathy, you've been tagged! anyjsmith.blogspot.com

Any Smith said...

BTW, local artists do this here in Milwaukee, too, but I think most of the bowls are made out of ceramic - but I like what you showed on your blog, too. Great idea!

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Cathy, thanks for posting the pic of my little beaded salt cellar. I love Mary Ann's and Liz's bowls too, as well as your little denim one. Ain't we got fun?