Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mermaids

Did you know that even a mermaid will enjoy an afternoon of quiet solitude away from the hustle and bustle of abundant sea life?This is "Solitary Mermaid," my March arch for my Textile Challenge group's Arch Swap.

My friendly mermaid (see, she's waving "hello!") is made from buttons, beads, hot glue (that has cooled in the shade of the palm tree), candy wrappers, voile, knit fabric and wild fiber hair. The palm tree has a corduroy trunk and embroidered rayon leaves. The beach is an upholstery sample, with a batik ocean and calm cotton skies above.

Why make one mermaid when you have material for two? Please meet "Mermaid with Friends."
She is made from the same ingredients as "Solitary Mermaid" above, with the addition of two friends, seahorse charms tethered with a golden cord. Notice how they are swimming in the ocean -- a bit of shimmery voile adds this dimension.

"Mermaid with Friends" is my 7th Bead Journal piece, a 4"x6" postcard, for the 2007 Bead Journal Project (BJP) which ended in May. I'm a faithful "Behinder" who is working hard to complete her promise of 12 BJPs for the year before the new 2008 Bead Journal Project begins this September. If you're interested in a year-long adventure of beading, sharing, and fun: click here for information and registration details.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Yup, two mermaids.. that's good! I like them both, especially the texture and the contrasting glitz vs. calm of the materials. Makes for dynamic pieces! I don't quite understand about the hot glue... is that what makes the mermaid's tail?

KV said...

Your mixed media work is awesome, Cathy!


Kathy V in NM

Winter Wanderings said...

Yes, the mermaids' tails were created with hot glue which was painted once the glue was cool. Then a shiny candy wrapper was tucked underneath, beads stitched on top to fill spots and hold everything together. I plan to play with more hot glue soon ... if I can find/make the time, that is.

Ellen said...

Very cool mermaids Cathy, I love how you made the tails - what a super idea

a2susan said...

Very cool! I like how you combine so many different techniques.

Susan