Monday, February 9, 2009

My newest ATCs

Last month I participated in Susan Lenz's amazing Cyber Fyber show -- including the International Random ATC Swap, held on January 17, 2009. Everyone around the world was encouraged to participate -- all you had to do was mail your ATC's with a stamped return envelope. A maximum of 3 ATCs could be traded with no restriction on age, location, or artistic medium. I traded two (they are at the end of this post).

My first envelope to arrive had this ATC tucked inside. Look closely. It is a photo of an alarm clock (it looks just like my old digital clock radio from ol' college dorm room days!) The time displayed is 6:00 a.m. Below the image is a clear simple statement: not good

These words echo my sentiments whenever I must arise early in the morning (I am a natural night owl who fortunately does not have to awaken before sunrise often). This thought provoking ATC was made by Amanda Graham (that's all I know -- Amanda, leave a comment if you find this post!)

My second envelope arrived the next day with this ATC tucked inside featuring 3 silk ribbon flowers and 2 tiny tatted butterflies.

This delicate creation was made by Pam Freck in Lexington, South Carolina, USA. I must ask you Pam, did you tat the butterflies yourself?

Here is a side view (just for fun & to see the dimension of this sweet ATC).


This is a peak at three ATCs I made after learning about the Cyber Fyber show. The red one was traded with Susan and was one of the 163 ATCs on display on the walls of Gallery 80808/Vista Studios in Columbia, South Carolina. The gold one lives with me as my memento of this fun challenge and show.

The third one, Space, has traveled to it's new home across the Atlantic Ocean. It now lives with Jean Toms, fiber artist in Devon, United Kingdom with a blog, Genies Art World, devoted to her fiber art and mixed media, and a second blog, Genies Photos, for her photography. This link connects directly to her comments on the Cyber Fyber ATC swap.



My spiderweb ATC has traveled in the other direction, crossing the Pacific ocean to its new home in Brisbane, Australia with Paula Hewitt. Her blog, The Beauty of Life, is filled with her various projects that range across a broad spectrum. There are tutorials on making polymer clay buttons & fabric books, photos of her embroidery & quilting projects, and best of all, her observations and comments on life and raising children.

This was fun in so many ways. First the excitement of trading postcards and ATCs directly with Susan Lenz, then seeing the entire show online, then waiting to receive the ATC's from the International Random ATC Swap and last of all, getting messages from the two who received my ATCs! Thank you Susan for enabling all this fun to happen!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi cathy!! We have lots in common!! I love all of the atc's that you ahe done in your recent posts! The challenge ones are terrific- I have too much on my plate right now to take that on and my art space is an enormous wreck of a UFO that is in desperate need of attention!! SIGH!! i love the Rice Game- great !! I just donated 250 and I am going to put that button on my blog if it is ok with you??? I also see that you are a member of BJP that is something that I really want to do next year- if it runs!! I just adore Robin Atkins!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Winter Wanderings said...

Yes, Elizabeth -- please help yourself to the Free Rice button!
They now feature quizzes on other subjects, beyond the basic vocabulary builder that they began with too.

Help feed the hungry across the globe ...
Play "Free Rice"!