Sunday, February 1, 2009

A 15-minute quickie

My Textile Challenges group always has something fun going on. At the moment, Marie is leading us in a month-long challenge. Our prepatory directions were simple and clear:

"Please cut at least 3 Peltex, cardstock, felt, or product of choice into ATC size (2½" X 3½") to use as a base or foundation for later use. Keep them handy, so you know where they are when you need them."

That intrigued us all as we waited for Marie's next direction, which she posted under the daunting heading:
FEB CHALLENGE - don't read till you have 15 minutes.

Naturally, I did not have 15 minutes, but I did have about one minute, just long enough to read her directions but not do them. Oops, I have broken direction #1.

Her directions went on: Go immediately to your work area and pick the first 5 materials (fabric, embellishments, etc) that you see. Using a precut foundation, we were directed to create ATC -- in 15 minutes! No more, no less. Naturally I began thinking of the huge disarray of my studio (its perpetual state - maybe one day it will look like this, Kay Sorensen's studio, but I digress). The next day, as I pondered Marie's directions, I also read emails and saw that many of my TC friends had already completed the challenge and were posting their results! I was determined not to peek -- and not to daudle over my computer -- but alas, I looked at Carol T's (our fearless group-Mom) blog and saw her Valentine-themed piece (see it here).

By evening I managed to dash upstairs, when I immediately broke direction #2 which was to pick the First 5 materials that you see. My mind was already thinking Valentine's so I started off looking for my red yarns and other reds ... I got sidetracked (hmm, imagine that) taking longer than 15 minutes to select my 5 elements! So I started all over -- I sat at my machine & reached for 5 things .... and began to play and create .... when I finished and looked at the time, I had gone far beyond the alloted 15 minutes. Yet again, I have broken another direction. However, most everyone in TC had mentioned working about 20 minutes on their challenge ATCs. Truthfully, I was nearly double that!

Here is my ATC, made from a Lindt chocolate candy wrapper (yum!), fabric, cellophane bag, velvet ribbon and a remnant piece from my puffy heart for Elizabeth (another TC swap).


Here is a detail view, showing the dimensionality of my tiny piece.


Here is another link to Kate (a TC friend)'s blog with her Week #1 ATC.

I totally enjoyed this first challenge although I realize that I altered Marie's clear and precise directions. Therefore I am re-challenging myself to try again. This next time, I will dash upstairs, taking the kitchen timer with me! After all, if I have time to blog about it, then I have time to try this challenge once more. Care to join me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy
I just wanted to let you know your ATC from the cyber-fyber swap ended up with me in Brisbane, Australia. Thankyou - i love the spider web!