Friday, July 20, 2012

Texas Quilt Museum

An enjoyable day-trip from Houston (or Austin or San Antonio or other locales in-between) is to La Grange, Texas.  Why, you might wonder?
 To visit the best little quilt museum in Texas, of course!

Texas Quilt Museum, La Grange, Texas
This museum opened in 2012 and is located in the heart of La Grange in a beautifully restored 1890s building (originally a furniture store).  It is simply wonderful.  I visited for the first time recently and now am wondering what took me so long. 

The exhibit I saw with my friend is the third installment of "Texas Quilts Today" featuring quilts from Lone Stars III.  I wish now that I had not missed the first two exhibits of the quilts from this book. I may have to go back to see this exhibit again before it closes on September 30, 2012.  For more information, the museum's website is http://www.texasquiltmuseum.org

After soaking up the visual eye candy of these wonderful quilts, you may be hungry for lunch. My favorite lunch spot in La Grange is Weikel's Bakery.   I love their sandwiches and always take home a loaf of fresh bread (or two)!

As you head for home, you may enjoy a stop at All Around the Block Quilt Shop in Giddings (they have a fabulous fabric selection and patterns and notions too) or Copper Shade Tree Gallery in Round Top (they have "a delightful collection of decorative and functional crafts, all handmade by Texas artisans").

I hope you enjoy your day-trip as much as I did.  I'm already planning a return trip .... soon!

No comments: