Every year I am intrigued, amazed and in awe of the quilts created and shown by Japanese quilters. This year was no exception. The quilt featured here is titled "Canon" and was made by Keiko Hasegawa.
This quilt was in the exhibit "Prize Winning Quilts from International Quilt Week Yokohama 2011", an exhibit sponsored by the International Quilt Week Executive Committee. For another close-up of this spectacular quilt, click here. Scroll down to the photo of a dime being held up to the quilt. The hexagons are smaller than the dime!
Canon
by Keiko Hasegawa
of Ikoma, Nara, Japan
This quilt uses pieced, appliqued and quilted techniques with a design source listed as simply "Hexagon".
Keiko states: "I've made a series of hexagon quilts. We had a baby named Canon in 2011 and this is for her. Listening to music, canons and singing along, I sewed this quilt."
Keiko Hasegawa hails from Ikoma, Nara, Japan. The city of Ikoma was founded on November 1, 1971. The Takayama district in the far northern section of the city is known for its bamboo products, including tea whisks, tea utensils, and knitting needles (knitting needles! I love my bamboo knitting needles!). For more information on the city and its folklore and culture (including the culture of bamboo), click here or try http://www.city.ikoma.lg.jp/en/





No comments:
Post a Comment