Monday, December 3, 2012

Owls

I love participating in Kate North's "Another Little Quilt Swap" so much so that this year, for the first time, I made TWO quilts to swap.  Well, in truthfulness, I made three quilts to swap, but the first second one I made, my husband claimed to hang in his office.  That was "Waves" (seen here).  The next second quilt I made to trade was "Tumbling" (which is featured here).  But what about the first quilt that I made for this quilt trade?

The very first quilt that I made for this Seventh "Another Little Quilt Swap" hosted by Kate North is featured in this post and appears below.  I used a tapestry owl which I had made a year ago (to decorate my Preschool Toddler class bulletin board) and stitched it to a fun background that my friend Liz Broussard had given me after she had over-dyed and painted the original fabric which came with the printed design.  (Did she tell me it had been a curtain or a pillowcase?  I can't recall now.)  Basically my cute little owl is made entirely of materials I had on hand - an eco-friendly owl!

Here she is, my little "Owlie".  While I was stitching Owlie together, I read on the ALQS7 website that another participant had turned her 12" square quilt into a pillow (click here to see quilt #12).  I thought that was a great idea, so I did the same.  My little owl quilt became a plump little owl pillow.


During all this planning and sewing of my little plump owl, a funny thing happened - I grew attached to my wide-eyed little bird.  I couldn't give it away!  Fortunately, I happen to have a few more of these little owls (formerly on my Toddler Bulletin board), and another piece of over-dyed and painted fabric from Liz, so I made a second owl.

This second owl quilt is named "Who, whoo ..." and it is also finished as a little pillow.  She was featured here on ALQS#7, and was listed as the anonymous "Quilt No. 33"


Two little Owls quilt/pillows -- one to trade and the other one to keep ...

For the curious, here is the back of one.  The multiple owls on this fabric make me smile. 




Soon I will post the photos of the two quilts that I have received in this fun "Another Little Quilt Swap #7."  I am already getting excited for Kate North's next little quilt swap!  She says it may happen later this spring.  One need only watch her ALQS blog for the sign-up announcement.  Chances are I will announce it here, too, just as soon as I learn of it.

3 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

"Who, whoo" has flown its next and is now, after a long trip, happy in her new home all the way in Singapore. She is very happy as much as I can tell and isn't suffering from home sickness ;).

Winter Wanderings said...

So glad "Who, whoo" is happy in Singapore!

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Soooo cute! I love owls too, and yours are adorable.