Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Go Hawaiian

I've always wanted to do a large Hawaiian applique' quilt, so this year at the International Quilt Festival, I took a class from Kathy Kansier called "Meet Me in Hawaii" (isn't that a nice invitation?).  In three hours, students cut an original Hawaiian design and applique'd it onto a background fabric (via machine applique).  I've been busy making more blocks that will grow into quilts, rather than lingering in my w.i.p (works in progress) pile.  Click here for more about the class.


Here is a peek at one of my original designs which I am currently shadow quilting, much in the style of Hawaiian quilts.   My goal is to finish this for the ALQS8 swap that is fast approaching.  I am also pondering if I should teach this as a class/workshop at one of my local quilt shops, such as Quilt 'N Sew.

Click here to be inspired by more Hawaiian quilts (as found on Pinterest).  There are also many websites with Hawaiian quilts for sale (I will let you explore those on your own ....).

Meanwhile, maybe I will stitch a few more rows before calling it a day....

No comments: