Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Challenge to finish and dolls

Here it is -- this is the packet of beautiful pastel solids I received from Michael Miller for their Spring Cotton Couture Challenge for 2015. 


In this latest challenge (issued to the Modern Quilt Guild members), rules state that we can use only Michael Miller's Cotton Couture fabrics in the quilt.  Thus my first challenge was not only what design shall I use, but where in the world can I find more of their Cotton Couture fabric line?  Using the trusty internet, I discovered that High Fashion Fabrics carries their fabrics.  After a Sunday afternoon trek to their downtown shop, I discovered these darker solids to add to my challenge piece.


Now for my list of steps:
  • Decide on a pattern (done - plan to revise (slightly) a pattern by my friend MBHayes of Thangles fame - I will share more on this in the next post about this project), 
  • Cut it out and stitch it up (the top is stitched!), 
  • Select on a back fabric (any Michael Miller - print or solid - is acceptable.  I've chosen one from my friend Patty Sloniger's latest line called Emma's Garden), 
  • Choose a quilting design and thread to use (this seems to be where I am stuck ... ).
  • Quilt it, 
  • Bind and label it.
  • Last of all, photograph and submit it before the fast approaching deadline!
My quilt is not finished, so I have made it my November "Lovely Year of Finishes" challenge.  Now it is in two challenges!  I have stated my goal and am linky #38 on the November Goal Linky Party page.  Check it out here and feel free to join us!

I have selected my pattern and have stitched up the top, but am still playing with many ideas of how to best quilt it (and shall I pull in Pam_Quiltaholic's expertise to do the actual quilting?  Here is a photo of my friend MB and myself standing in her Thangles booth during the International Quilt Festival this year.  We are standing in front of my "Summer Baskets from My Friends" quilt!
It is really fun to see something you have made hanging up in a public place for many to see it, admire it, and possibly even buy the pattern for it!  Read more about my basket quilt here.

The International Quilt Festival has closed for the year so now I have time to share a few photos taken during the busy days of the show.  First - "In Celebration of the Doll" is always a fun exhibit.

It is even more fun when you are searching for a doll made by my friend, Marlene Slobin.  I'm glad I knew to look for three dolls, not just one!  Below is a closeup of "The Novak Sisters" that she made. 

 Marlene, your creative dolls always make me smile!  I look forward to your next one...or group ...

No comments: