Saturday, December 26, 2015

Zilker tree

A trip to Austin to see family over the holidays must include 
a visit 
to the Moon Tower Christmas tree 
in Zilker Park.
Seen from afar, the tree is even better as you draw closer to it.

 The view looking up from underneath is my favorite - especially when you take a little spin and twirl.

  In the photos above, can you spy the moon tower that is the structure supporting the tree?

photo of a moon tower from 1895
The moonlight towers arrived in Austin in 1894. Click here to learn more history of the Austin Moon Towers.  Click here to learn the location of the other Moon Towers (those around today and those that no longer are).  When the towers were originally built, there was much concern - click here to read more.  While more than one moon tower is in existence in 2015, only the Zilker Moonlight Tower turns into a festive tree every Christmas season. 

2013
2014
2013 was a chilly drizzly visit to the tree while 2014 was drier and only a bit warmer.  I enjoy snapping our photos at the tree -- but have to do so quickly,  before my family dashes back to the warmth of the car, leaving me to twirl and spin under the wonderful lights on my own. 

I don't mind as I know that I will be back again next year!



No comments: