It is a Journal Making class being taught by Sue Bleiweiss (to find out more about this class, click here).
For our first lesson, Sue gave wonderfully clear directions with step-by-step guidelines and numerous helpful photos. She included creative ways to add embellishments and alterations to the journal, encouraging everyone to take her ideas and run, enhancing the individuality of everyone's completed journals. Perhaps the best part is the sharing done by all the students in the class. For as someone finishes a journal (or two or three), they post photos of it for all to see and admire.
I have made one journal so far (and still plan to add more decorative touches to it). Here is a photo of its front.
I used batik fabrics for my cover and lining; drawing paper and cardstock for my pages and dividers; and a cotton print for the inside pocket. I embellished the outside using two eyelash fibers in different colorways and a decorative meandering stitch. The flap is the only edge finished by zigzag stitching, as the other edges were completed by folding the cover fabric to the inside before fusing the lining into place.
When my sons saw this journal, they both claimed it for their own! Much to their dismay, I told them it was mine -- but quickly promised to make one for each of them in fabrics they select. Since our second project features a journal with replaceable pages, I plan to delay making my boys' journals until after they've seen this next one!
Be sure to look at Sue Bleiweiss's website (click here) for further information on how to take this fun class -- as well as to see what else she is teaching.




4 comments:
I'm on the course too. It is great fun and the journals are addictive aren't they!
Your journal is beautiful and I can fully understand your sons fighting you for it ;0)
Hi, Cathy. Welcome to the world of blogging!
Wonderful journal. I'm from Texas too.
Hi Cathy
I'm on the course too - hope to blog about it soon as well...
Love your journal - the colour is gorgeous.
Love it Cathy, the colours are just lovely. I am going to enrol on the next round, I am just too busy at this point. Love them .
Post a Comment