Saturday, March 5, 2011

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

This book is a Great Read!

I just read a delightful first novel by Beth Hoffman, titled Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and loved it.  This book was recommended by a friend who had said "if you liked The Help (by Kathryn Stockett), then you will like this" and she was so right.  Thank you Dena!

Both novels take place in the South in the 1960s yet they tell very different stories.  If The Help did not appeal to you, read this one anyway -- Saving CeeCee Honeycutt weaves an intriguing story of strong women (and yes, some are a tad eccentric).  There are several book reviews already posted, so I will just add my hearty encouragement to read this book. 

Once the setting moves south in Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, it remains centered in Savannah, Georgia, a city that is once again on my "must see" destination list.  Savannah has been luring me since I was a young girl and discovered it to be the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low (founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America) -- Yes, I am a former Girl Scout, and sold their delicious cookies (which I still buy every year, especially the Mint cookies as they taste best, especially frozen!).  Then reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt about ten years ago reminded me that Savannah, Georgia was a city worthy of a visit .... I will travel there one of these days....

Meanwhile, Beth Hoffman is at work on her second novel.  Check her website for more about this talented author.
http://bethhoffman.net/home/

I am confident that this novel will be a movie one of these days .... but when?

More important ... what shall I read next?




No comments: