Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Early Evening

This is my little quilt that I've made for Kate North's Sixth "Another Little Quilt Swap" (ALQS) which is taking place now (dare I admit that it is the size of a placemat?).  About my little quilt ... a few years ago, at the International Quilt Festival (IQF), I took a class with Jackie Robinson called "24 Batiks".   I love the colors of the batiks I used, so it was an easy decision to put the left-over cuts and blocks together, making a quilt for Kate's little quilt swap.  I call my little quilt "Early Evening" as the colors remind me of the slowly darkening sky at dusk.  Here it is:
"Early Evening"
Note:  I will be re-working the binding as I am not pleased with it's appearance in this photo (or in the actual quilt).

I had fun piecing this little top as I did not follow the original pattern layout of the "24 Batiks" pattern, but rotated my equilateral triangles in a variety of ways.  Quilting this was also a great exercise.  I did free motion quilting on my trusty old Bernina, changing the stitch for the different batik pieces.  Take a look at the following detail views.


And here is a second close-up view.


Later this month, Kate will send me the name and address of the lucky new owner of my quilt and I will mail it promptly to her.  At the same time, a new quilt will be on its way to my home.  I can hardly wait to see whose quilt I will soon own!

I swapped once before, in the Fourth ALQS, trading a remake of my "Big Foot, the Foot" quilt.  Follow the swaps made in ALQS4 to see more wonderful quilts.  The great thing about Kate's swaps is that they are "guilt-free" -- if you sign up, but are unable to finish your quilt by the deadline, no problem!  The swaps are all traded based on who ever does finish by the deadline, and no hard feelings if this doesn't include you.  I like this as I once signed up for ALQS #5, but was unable to finish.  I'm already percolating a few new ideas for the next trade ..... join the fun!

Kate has mentioned that she will host another swap, Another Little Quilt Swap #7.  So if you like sharing your quilt art with others and have no objections to mailing internationally, watch her blog, "Another Little Quilt Swap"at http://anotherlittlequiltswap.blogspot.com/  for the sign-up window and for other details.  The rules are really quite minimal and the joy is tremendous!

1 comment:

Marie Joerger said...

Hi Cathy! I am the lucky recipient of your beautiful quilt in the ALQS6. Thank you so much for sharing your talent. Can't wait to hang it up :) Marie
http://mariescreativespace.blogspot.com/