Sunday, June 29, 2014

Scrappy Garden Trip-Alongs

My traditional quilting bee, the Block Builders Bee, holds a quilt block lottery 8 months of the year.  This past February, the lottery block was based on Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Trips Around the World, in a garden version created by Betty Rivers.  Lucky for Betty, she won all the blocks in the lottery that month and made this lovely quilt.
5-7-14 Betty's quilt 2 photo DSCN6407_zps40420943.jpg

Admiring her lovely quilt, five of us in the Block Builders Bee, decided to do a side swap, so I busily began making blocks for this side trade.  We were using Betty's variation, although Bonnie Hunter's original free pattern can be found by clicking here or looking on her website: quiltville.com  under the free patterns section.  She calls this pattern "Scrappy Trips Around the World".

There is also a Flickr group called Scrappy Trip Along which can be found here.  Take a peek in this group to discover and enjoy many variations of this simple pattern.

Soon, I am conducting a "how-to" workshop for this block for my local Modern Quilt Guild.  This means that I am busily stitching up several samples.  The first two are now at my quilter's being quilted (Thank you Pamquiltaholic!).  Here is a photo of each before I added a final 1 1/2" border to them.  


I call the first quilt "Diagonal Garden Rows" and the quilt below I call "Scrappy Garden Strip Along"



I am now working on more samples and variations as I race to finish before my workshop!

No comments: