This is my 4th Day of the Art Challenge currently
circulating on FaceBook.
I was nominated by Pam Biswas. Thank you
Pam! For this fourth day of the 5-day challenge, I am sharing more of my favorite quilts and mixed media/fiber art pieces. I hope you enjoy them.
This first piece tells the Legend of the Bluebonnet. A quick summary is: In days long long ago, during a severe drought, a young girl sacrificed her most prized possession, her doll, to the tribe's fire, following their leader's request. The gods were happy and sent rain that night. The next morning, when the little girl and her people woke up, they discovered the fields were covered with blue flowers, the same blue of the doll's dress. These were the first bluebonnets and they return every spring, remembering the little girl's love that was so pure.
This story quilt was fun to make. I explored a variety of mixed media/fiber art techniques including: painted hot glue squiggles (the bluebonnets), overlayed sheers (the sun and the rain), torched and painted tyvek (flames of fire), new fabric made from stitched threads and fibers (the doll's dress - both the tiny doll in the girl's hands and the center doll burning in the fire), and couched fibers (fields of bluebonnets).
This piece was my entry in the 2008 Journal Quilt Project at Houston's annual International Quilt Festival. That year, quilt artists were asked to make a quilt portraying the four elements (earth, wind, rain and fire). Most chose to focus on one element however I decided to touch on all four elements in this little story quilt. Sadly, my quilt was rejected from the actual exhibit, though it was in an virtual online show (with several other rejected quilts). Click here to see "Braving the Elements". Thank you Linda Teddie Minton for coordinating this special show. Click here to see my entry in "Braving the Elements" which includes the poem of the legend of the bluebonnet.
This next quilt is called "American All-Stars" and is my first quilt to travel in a national exhibit and is my first entry in the annual Hoffman Challenge, specifically the 1996 challenge which featured "Old Glory". My quilt did not travel to Houston during its year on the road. However it was on display during the big Paducah quilt show in the spring of 1997. I cancelled my plans to see my quilt in Paducah, as I was expecting twins. In the photo below, my children are one year old wearing special outfits made with the "Old Glory" Hoffman challenge fabric to celebrate both the return home of my traveling quilt and the July 3rd wedding of their Uncle and Aunt. Aren't they precious?
My next quilt is my current all-time favorite quilt and is hanging on my living room wall.
"Red Summer Baskets" is a quilt that was a gift to me -- well, the pattern and many of the fabrics were given to me by Mary Beth Hayes, my friend and founder of Thangles. She gave this cute pattern to me in the summer of 2012 during my visit to Wisconsin and her studio. Click here and here to learn more about this quilt.
My artist nominee today happens to be Mary's sister, Wanda Eichler! I met both sisters years ago when Mary and I were in an internet round robin group, and both traveled to Market in Houston. We met for lunch and kept talking for three hours that afternoon. I look forward to Mary and her husband Pat coming to Market and Festival every year. Wanda came a few times as well.
When I was helping Wanda with her booth, Graywood Designs, in 2010, we were delighted to see how close we were to the Make It University area. We had fun taking turns participating in the one-hour classes they offered. I made the four ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) that you see below.
I nominate Wanda Eichler to join this 5-day Art Challenge by posting three photos a day of her artwork, and nominating another artist to carry the challenge ever forward. Wanda, I look forward to seeing your lovely art!





No comments:
Post a Comment