Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Temporary ... now gone

I can remember driving down Montrose a few years ago and discovering this curious structure being built.  I loved it and loved watching it grow and continued to wonder how long it would remain ... after all, it looked so temporary!

I wanted to walk under it and photograph it from many angles.  Imagine my surprise when I happened past it two days ago and discovered that it was being dismantled!  How can that be?  I never took my photos.  I never walked under and around it.  I miss it now as they were taking it apart.

Here are the only photos I have of the "Funnel Tunnel" created by artist Patrick Renner.

This end points to Inversion Coffee House (I should try their coffee one day).

 The skeletal remains are bare and remain.

This is the ghost of a former sculpture, or the bare bones.


Funnel Tunnel once thrived on the median, starting at the intersection of Willard and Montrose and snaking down Montrose.

I did find one article online telling more about the creation of this intriguing sculpture.  Click here to read it and enjoy these two photos from that same article.

Somehow I missed the opportunity to paint one of these wonderful yardstick-like pieces.  Now there is a sign at the corner where this sculpture used to stand stating that these very pieces can be purchased! hmmmm..... I decided to do a little more digging ....


Here is a conceptual drawing back when the idea was germinating ...
Click here for more on the story telling the beginning of this idea.


Click on these links for a few more photos and stories behind this Funnel Tunnel sculpture that is no more.  Click here for installation news, also here, and here and even here, oh, and here too.  There are probably many more websites featuring photos of this unique sculpture (try researching Funnel Tunnel by Patrick Renner, Houston, TX).  Please share them with me!  Before I end, below are a few favorite photos to represent the very photos that I never took the time to take myself.  Lesson learned: Be aware of procrastination!  It will likely bite you in the end ....


I love this photo by Barry Tse (above) 
and
the two below, both by Pablo Gimenez Zapiola.  



This one is fantastic, which is a still from a video from Houstonia Magazine, which I pulled from a website - click here to see.


One question remains - why was it dismantled?
I have not found that answer .... yet .... do you know why?

No comments: