Tuesday, August 5, 2008

P is for Patsy


P is for Patsy, who has been waiting patiently since May for my arch. As per my usual, I am running behind with my Textile Challenges Yahoo group. Thirteen of us are doing a yearlong swap -- making one arch per month for each other.

My goal: to create an arch with a Victorian feel.

Techniques used: The letter "P" was made using hot glue from a hot glue gun, a fun technique explored earlier this year. Basically squirt the hot glue onto parchment paper, and while the glue is flowing, write the letter or shape that you desire. Let the shape (or shapes) dry, then paint. I used Jacquard Lumiere paints here -- two or three different colors. Let the paint set at least 24 hours -- longer is even better. Warning: you cannot heat set this paint as heat will remelt the hot-glue, thereby changing your original shape (ask me how I know this, if you dare).

The letter was stitched onto the oval frame, then circled many times with a rayon-y fiber. A fancy tulle was rouched over a pleated white batiste in the lower portion of the arch. An embroidered linen fills the top of the arch with a snippet of bridal lace adding the final touch. The entire arch is bordered with a trio of fibers, leaving a loop at the top for fun.

I hope Patsy likes this especially since she's been waiting so long for it. My apologies to her for my tardiness -- now onto create my June piece for Mags .... and July for ..... well these friends know who they are (and that I'm working as fast as I can, promise!)
I'd chat longer but I need to dash to keep my creating momentum going as I try to "keep even" on my behind-ness (if that is possible) or at least not fall further behind.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks awesome can't wait to get it!!!!
Patsy

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Cathy, you never cease to amaze me what you do with a hot glue gun! How fun to see this piece at BTB today ...