Monday, November 17, 2008

Grecian Profile arch

Every thing starts with an idea -- and sometimes a sketch, too.
The idea was to create something Grecian for Mags' arch and after looking into books and pondering, I came back to the Grecian profile (a modern sculpture) on display in the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. I had sketched it a year or more ago and when I happened on my old sketch, I knew I would use some portion of it to create my arch. Here is how I adapted my sketch to fit the size of our arches.


Choosing to work in the deep blue, I looked for a few brights to use. I selected a scrap of gold voile with bead-like highlights but quickly learned that appliqueing sheers is a challenge! Where did I put that Misty Fuse when I needed it? This problem was solved by couching bright yarns and fibers along the profile's edge, then adding a poof for the Grecian headdress.


Final touches included adding a piece of painted, heat-distressed, wrinkled tyvek. What more can I do to this arch? or is it time to stop? I think I am ready to mail it! For those not in the know, I am in a yearlong arch swap-trade with my Textile Challenges group. It's been great fun playing with new techniques all the while dreaming up new ideas for each arch -- trying to come up with the perfect arch to match the receiver's wish-list of themes.



But I puzzled over the back. I wanted to add a pocket, just like the other arches I have received. The pocket is the perfect spot to tuck in a note telling all about the making of the arch ... except that I need to create some neat fabric/paper/cardstock to write the note on ... I seem to find more delays or do I just wish to keep this Grecian profile in my hands a tad longer?

I have decided to send the arch at long last. I will send the note (to slip into the pocket) at some future date. I hope Mags is happy with her very late June arch, even with its empty pocket. After all, wouldn't you prefer an arch with an empty pocket rather than no arch at all?

2 comments:

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Cathy, I really LOVE this one! Lucky recipient!

Digitalgran said...

I am thrilled with this beautiful arch Cathy. It is so different and I just love it. Mags