Friday, November 21, 2008

Learning and sharing at IQF

Every year at Quilt Festival there is a tremendous amount of learning and sharing that goes on. This year was no different. I was fortunate enough to be in a two-day class with Katie Pasquini-Masopust which was tremendous!


During the two days, she had us exploring a fun variety of design ideas. We left the class with the beginnings of several future quilts-to-be and many innovative ways to dream up new game plans for additional abstract quilts. In this photo, near the end of our two days together, Katie is showing her quilts to the class, pointing out details, and answering all of our questions.


Another quilt friend I see annually is Marlene Glickman. She is a silk artist and readily shares her ideas and silk dyeing techniques at the "potpourri" multi-teacher-demonstration events held in the Ballroom during Festival. Not only does Marlene share her ideas, she always has fun give-aways for the participants who pause at her table.


In this photo, Marlene is sharing what she knows about foiling onto fabric, paper and cardstock. Everyone was given several pieces of foil to take home and try one of Marlene's techniques. As an additional bonus, she demonstrated how easy it is to dye silk scarves (which she gave away to whoever volunteered to iron them at the end of the session!) Marlene is a non-stop bundle of knowledge, willing to share what she knows and hoping to inspire others to adventure into the world of Silk fiber art.


Last of all, it is not a memorable Quilt Festival or Quilt Market unless I bump into my dear friend Hallye Bone, with or without a pre-arranged rendezvous. Years ago, when Houston became my home, Hallye was my first quilt teacher at Quilt Quarters quilt shop. Later, her home was the first that I managed to visit with my infant twin boys! Since Hallye no longer lives in Houston, I truly treasure our brief visits during Quilt Market.

Here we are -- tickled to have run into each other again. Oh, I almost forgot to mention -- Congratulations Hallye on the publication of your first book, Caring for Your Quilts! (Available from Kansas City Star website and/or your local quilt shop).

No comments: