Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Felting (2 UFOs)

I have dabbled in felting -- just a little bit -- this year.  The first was in a class with Gika Rector during the bi-annual conference of the Texas Federation of Fiber Artists (TFFA).  Gika taught us how to Nuno Felt, a wet felting technique that felts into a fabric base -- quite fun to do, and sadly I've only one photo to share.  My piece is here:


I used the three primary colors in Merino wool roving, trapping snippets of other fibers in the process.  My initial thought was to spin it into a color wheel .... perhaps I will felt it a bit more first....

Then, at this fall's International Quilt Festival (IQF), I was entranced by the ArtFelt booth.  They had a lovely variety of felted items as seen in these photos:
The samples are showing their many patterns and kits.  There was also luscious wool and silk roving.  I could hardly wait to get my hands on some of my own to play with!

I believe these shawls/neck-warmers are the inspiration behind my first knit scarf which was too short (click here to see that post).
 

Aren't these felted fabrics lovely?

Since Festival, I have played with one of their smaller kits, making a small purse for my cell phone.


This is the roving punched into the artfelt paper base.



Here it is after being felted.
The artfelt process uses a dryer to do the felting -- fast, easy and fun!



I've stitched the sides together ...



and added a little embroidery embellishment.
All it lacks is the final clasp or tie ... (yes, it is unfinished at the moment ...)

The year is winding to a close and I'm sharing two unfinished works in this post in hopes that I can get them finished before ringing in the new year .....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work! Glad you enjoyed using the artfelt paper! We'll be at Quilt Market again in May - come visit us then - we have many new ideas!