Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Plaid Cats

I've been finishing up UFO's lately.  This is my current favorite as it features blocks I made over 10 years  (possibly closer to 15 years) ago and traded through a quilt group with America Online (back when my AOL email was calicocath, I think?)  Without further ado, here are my Plaid Cats:



This swap was originally hosted by Ida Tyson from Odessa (did anyone else swap these cats?) using a pattern from The Cat's Meow: Purr-fect Quilts for Cat-Lovers by Janet Kime.  Originally published in 1994 by That Patchwork Place, a special 10th anniversary special edition came out in 2004.  We made the 5" x 8" plaid cats using homespun plaids, a current fad back in the mid 1990's though hard to find even in quilt shops.  Do you see the smaller kitten blocks?  We traded these blocks (which measure 2 1/2" x 4") in a swap hosted by Jan Leming, formerly from Slidell.
This quilt top measures 60.5" x  84.5"
Typically, when I trade blocks in a swap, I have not pre-determined a finished size, plus I make extras.  I used 35 leftover cats to make a 2nd Plaid Cat quilt top.  It will be given to my quilt guild, Quilt Guild of Greater Houston (QGGH), to donate to a local charity.



This Plaid Cats quilttop measures 35" x 40" although I may had a simple border before finishing it.

Now to decide how to quilt these two tops .... I must think up something delightfully purr-fect!  Any suggestions?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Cathy! Glad you finally got those little guys together. Mine, on the other hand, is ready for the trash! Frequent use and washings have done it in!
Jan

How & Julie said...

I love it Cathy! I remember those days! Brings back such wonderful memories. Fun chatting in the aol quilt chat room. Jan and I were definitely regulars. I believe we were all in our sewing rooms, quilting and chatting at the same time. What more in life is really necessary? Ooops, food!

Winter Wanderings said...

Would you believe I found MORE Plaid Cat blocks?!!! Now to count them & see if they'll be a 3rd quilt or if I'll add them to the 2nd one ... maybe I should clean some more, as more may turn up!