The colors in this one first attracted my attention, then the wavy log cabin block. Then I saw the villages within each cabin and more little houses surrounding the entire piece. Karen Eckmeier has a great eye for color and for fun. I love her own admission which I found on her website: My art is happy and upbeat, concentrating on the positive and whimsical side of life. Yes, indeed it is!
Karen's words: "As quilters, we have 'been around the block' when it comes to making quilts! I thought it would be fun to substitute the central square of the Log Cabin design with a village so that it would be like walking around the block of several different towns."
Techniques: Fabric collaged under tulle, layered, topstitching, machine quilting.
Materials: Commercial and hand-painted cottons, tulle
Design Source: Log Cabin Barn Raising
Winner of an Honorable Mention in Art-Whimsical
Winner of an Honorable Mention in Art-Whimsical
Cheryl Costley's piece tickles me too. Why is it that the healthier way to eat is also a bit more time-consuming? Don't you love her eggplant, cauliflower, and other veggies? I am also drawn to the chef's face and curly hair! I think to myself -- this looks like fun! On her website, Cheryl says: Creating art is what I love
to do, and my favorite medium is fiber. Textiles and fiber can be
manipulated, painted, dyed, stamped, cut, stitched, woven, glued and
much more. The possibilities continue to challenge and surprise me.
Cleaning the Veggies
of Bonita Springs, Florida
Cheryl's words: "Since adding more vegetables to my family's diet, it seems like all I do is clean the veggies."
Techniques: Primitive hand stitching for applique and quilting, machine quilting.
Materials: Painted and hand-dyed fabric by the artist, commercial fabric, assorted threads.
An original design by Cheryl Costley
I adore the wonky-whimsy of the houses in Susan Bleiweiss's award-winning quilt. If you look at her website, you'll see that she's been having lots of fun with these happy, crazy little homes in many different settings.
Tutti Frutti Village
of Upton, Massachusetts
Susan's words: "This quilt was inspired by a digital sketch I did on my iPad using a very simple sketching application. I used only my hand-dyed sand-washed cotton (yes, even the black is hand-dyed!).
Techniques: Fused, raw-edge applique with machine stitching; machine quilting.
An original design by Susan Bleiweiss
Winner of an Honorable Mention in Art-Whimsical
I recognized Susan's name right away, too, because the one online course I have taken was one she taught: Journal Making. I made three journals with the course and still have plans to finish the last few lessons (it was only 5 lessons long, but life does have a way of jumping in and interfering with my 'druthers' at times.) Click here to see my post on this class, if you're curious.
Sue has also authored a book, which I happened across in a local bookstore earlier this fall. I bought it right away (the only copy!).
Look for The Sketchbook Challenge in your local bookstore (or online too - Sue has it available on her website - click here for a direct link). There is a blog dedicated to the challenge of the sketchbook as well, titled (can you guess?) The Sketchbook Challenge and found at http://sketchbookchallenge.blogspot.com/






2 comments:
I love this post, Cathy, especially the curvy log cabin quilt! Blogs like yours provide a great service to those of us who don't make it to all the shows (ha! hardly any in my case). I've become a follower and have added Winter Wanderings to my "Favorite Blogs" list.
Wondering if you saw the similar post I wrote about "Material Men" a show of quilts made by men? In case not, it's here: http://beadlust.blogspot.com/2012/11/please-dont-miss-this-5-star-show.html
I'm so glad you re-joined the BJP for 2013. I suggest you start fresh and let go of finishing past year's pieces. Combine the beads with whatever it is that you typically finish. (For me, I do typically finish beaded pieces... it's quilts and knitted sweaters that get left behind).
Look forward to getting to know you better in 2013! Robin A.
Thanks Robin!
I will look at Material Men tonight and am already pondering how to begin anew with 2013 BJP - my beads are calling to me ...
Post a Comment