Thursday, February 18, 2016

Quilt-Non 2016

QuiltCon opened in Pasadena California earlier this morning and sadly I and many of my quilting friends are unable to attend in person.  But rather than be grumpy and mopey, Julie Dueck of Intrepid Thread (a California quilt shop) came up with a splendid idea ... to come together through InstaGram and celebrate collectively from our individual homes.  She's named this event: Quilt-Non (for those not going to QuiltCon)!

There are challenges, free patterns, prizes and guest hostesses and more throughout the entire duration that the other Quilting event is taking place on the west coast.  Isn't this fun?  It began at noon today, Eastern (California) Standard Time and will end on Sunday, just as QuiltCon closes.

Quilt-Non takes place primarily on InstaGram with the first challenge of introducing yourself to the crowd.  Post a selfie (or any photo of yourself) and answer three questions: what is your name (or what you'd like to be called)?; where you are from?; and how long you've been sewing?  This challenge runs for the full duration of Quilt-Non (so if you're reading this Sunday morning, quickly add your photo and introduction with the hatchtag #QuiltNon2016).  There is a prize that will be awarded: a rainbow fat 8th bundle and a copy of Simply Moderne.  Don't you love to win prizes?
So, without further ado .... Here I am with my photo and my answers.... 

I'm Cathy.  I live in Houston and I've been playing with needle and thread since I was about 5 or 6 years old.  I made my first quilt block in 1985-or-so when the rotary cutter was a 'new-fangled-tool.'  I'm excited to be saying hello to you and everyone on IG.  I am looking forward to meeting you and joining more of the QuiltNon challenges!

Now I have lots more to share about the different QuiltNon events and happenings, and will start by referring you to Julie (aka @intrepidthread)'s blog: intrepidthread.blogspot.com.  There is plenty of basic information there or click here to get directly to the page with the info.  There you can also see the Quilt-Non sponsors, some of the prizes, and links to a few free patterns.

A reminder: all the fun is actually happening on InstaGram -- so if you've ever thought of joining IG, now's a great time to give it a whirl.  There are many photos being posted from the real QuiltCon and it is the only way to see who else is joining in the QuiltNon fun.  Once you're on InstaGram, search for the hatchtag #quiltnon2016.

As you scroll through the feed, meeting new friends and seeing what everyone is stitching on this week-end, keep an eye out for the above image.  It indicates that the QuiltNon Hostess is changing - and the next challenge or game will be posted by the new Hostess.  Look for me tomorrow morning as I will be hosting one of the challenges!  I'm sew very excited sew stay tuned ... I will tell more in the morning, promise!

No comments: