Thursday, October 2, 2014

Once a pair of shorts ....

 The original pair of denim shorts once worn by my teenage son is destined to be re-purposed into something new and different.

 
I began by removing the metal zipper -- isn't un-stitching a joy?  
At least when it is not undoing something I have just stitched together!

 
Andy says "can I be in the picture too?"
(Why did I think I could take photos with the jeans on the floor with Andy in the house?)

Besides taking out the metal zipper, I also took apart the inner side seams.
Now to figure out how to do the next step.... or maybe I should start of deciding what part of the shorts will be the front and sides .....

Oh, did I mention, I'm planning to make a new totebag?
I had intended to finish it to swap in the September Totebag Swap that was held with the Houston Modern Quilt Guild (HMQG).  This is the funky kitty fabric that I plan to use as the tote's lining (do you think Andy will mind?).

This is one of my "starts" for September, one of my NewFOs. 
I do confess that I love the challenge of starting something new each month?

Stay tuned as I aim to finish my jeans-kitty totebag in October as part of my "A Lovely Year of Finishes" Challenge!  I hereby declare that this is my goal for the month of October.
Click here to see the others (I'm #25).
This is a fun challenge aimed at finishing projects and achieving goals.  It is helping me to select and then focus on one project each month (once I've selected one to finish!).  Please join in if you'd like to.  It is very easy.  Here's how:  decide your goal for the month and declare it publicly, with a link on the Lovely Year of Finishes Goal Setting Linky Party (open the first seven days of the month).  Then work like crazy to achieve your goal and post your successes to the Finishes Linky Party (during the last seven days of the month).

To make it even more fun, a few lucky finishers win prizes! I know, because I won a prize in August from Thimblepies Quilty Supplies!  My prize was four 1-yard cuts of lovey fabrics (they remind me of 30s Reproductions) and two packages of rickrack.  Thank you Jane Holbrook!

I also started (and finished) this sweet dove block for a friend's approaching wedding.  Click here to see my dove before I autographed it.

Does it count as a NewFO if I finished it?  (answer: Yes, it does!)
Click here to see the other NewFOs started in September, 2014 (I am #20).

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Totally, it counts! Very cute stuff here.

Brown Family said...

THe jeans bag will be fun!