Friday, March 27, 2015

Inspired to make these

I have to share more of my favorite quilts from the recent quilt show by the West Houston Quilter's Guild earlier this month.  All of the quilts in this blog post are quilts that I want to make  .... eventually.  I guess I am adding them to my ever-growing "Quilt Bucket List," the list of quilts that I want to make, stitch, keep.

Feline Fantasy by Sheila Tweed, quilted by Donna Warnement

I love the graphic effect of the black and white in this colorful quilt names Feline Fantasy.  Sheila Tweed made this quilt in a class led by Debbie Caffrey at the International Quilt Show in Chicago, June 2014.  The pattern can be found in Caffrey's book Open a Can of Worms.
detail of Feline Fantasy by Sheila Tweed
Sheila dipped into her own Laurel Burch fabric stash to make this striking quilt.  The quilting by Donna Warnement used Sheila's favorite color, lime green.



In My Garden by Diane Balcerowicz, quilted by Brenda Marien
I have a huge stash of floral fabrics (including many featuring bluebonnets) and love the idea of using some of them to make my version of this quilt.  A friend of Diane's gave her scraps of the 50 state flower fabrics (lucky her!  I only have about 7 of them).  After searching for a few years, she found this pattern featured in Better Homes and Gardens Quilts and knew it was perfect.  She then added 22 more florals so that each of the 72 blocks features a different floral fabric.  I love the colorful simplicity of this quilt. 



Scrapper's Delight Variation by Summer King
This delightful quilt is adapted from Scrapper's Delight by Amanda Jean Nyberg in her book Sunday Morning Quilts.   Summer was playing with creating these blocks when the announcement of the String Quilt Challenge was announced by her guild, the West Houston Quilter's Guild.  She continued arranging and rearranging her blocks until she settled on this configuration, adding the scrappy string border last of all.  This quilt makes me happy and reminds me of the many many scraps of colorful fabrics that I own.  Surely this means that I can easily make my own version of this quilt, right?



Mama Said by Sue Garman
This quilt, Mama Said, has long been a favorite of mine.  It was a twelve month series (began as a Block of the Month) which "pulls at your heartstrings."  Sue designed this quilt years ago to honor her parents and has written about the creation of this quilt on her blog here.  Featuring nine key values with more familiar parental sayings embroidered around each block, this quilt is a true legacy of love. 

detail of Mama Said by Sue Garman
Why am I including this older quilt with others from the recent West Houston Quilter's Guild show?  Because it was in a special exhibit of quilts by Sue Garman as she was one of three judges for this show.  I had purchased patterns of a few of these blocks, but have yet to stitch any of them.  There is a redwork version too, which I've seen for the first time while browsing her blog and am very intrigued by it.  Be sure to look at Sue's blog http://suegarman.blogspot.com/ and/or her website, www.comequilt.com/.  Yes, one of these days, I must make at least one block from this quilt or something that is inspired by this quilt!



Tissue Box by Connie Bihner
This quilt has an easy-to-piece block that was inspired by the shape of a Kleenex tissue box.  I think I may try to make a scrappier version.... perhaps.  Connie's quilt Tissue Box won a third place ribbon in the large bed-sized pieced (one person) category.  She saw this quilt displayed at Quilt Works and after admiring it, she decided to make her own version using Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  



Christmas Boots by Suzanne Humble, quilted by Valerie DeRuiter
I've got to stitch some boots together one of these days.  Suzanne enlarged the popular "Boot Scoot'n" pattern by Martha Dzines to make her Christmas version.  She hangs it above her fireplace mantle for the holiday season where it coordinates nicely with her other holiday decor.  Perhaps I will stitch up Walking in the Wildflowers which is another boot pattern by Martha Dzines featuring bluebonnet fabrics that I already own. 



Tea in Central Park by Beverley Bennett
Here is a classic Modern Traditionalism quilt.  It is the "Spiced Chai" pattern by Katie Clark Blakesley from the Vintage Quilt Revival book by Katie Clark Blakesley, Lee Heinrich and Faith Jones.  Be sure to check out each of their individual blogs (Katie's is http://swimbikequilt.com/, Lee's blog is http://www.freshlypieced.com/, and Faith's blog is http://www.freshlemonsquilts.com/). 

detail of Tea in Central Park by Beverley Bennett
Back to Beverley's quilt, she made this for the WHQGuild's Tuesday Morning Friends Bee's challenge which was to use 1/2 yard of a funky fabric, which is the yellow seen above.  Beverley used a bundle of New York fabrics that she had which echoed some of the same colors in the funky yellow fabric.  She designed an original border to complete her quilt.  This quilt earned a second place ribbon in the bed sized, pieced, small category.

Of these wonderful quilts posted here, I wonder which will be the first that I stitch up ....

No comments: