Wednesday, March 11, 2015

More quilts from WHQG's recent show

The quilts were great at the recent "Quilted Roads of Texas" quilt show put on by the West Houston Quilter's Guild.  Here are more favorites of mine ...

Christmas on the Fourth of July by Beverley Bennett

Beverley stated that this Christmas Flag pattern is by Tina Curran, and was published in the Quilter's Newsletter magazine in 2012 as a series.  Three blocks per week were published from the 4th of July to the 12th of November.  Beverley completed the quilt top in time for Christmas 2012 and had it quilted by the Quilt 'n Sew longarm machine service in time for Christmas in 2013.

detail of Christmas on the Fourth of July, by Beverley Bennett
I love the flag look of this quilt.  It is an innovative way of making a row quilt (making  a row quilt is one of the many on my "Quilt Bucket List").  Each stripe of the flag is a different repeated motif related to the holiday season.  Quite fun. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that this quilt won First Place for the Wall Quilt Pieced, 2 person.  Congrats to Beverley (who made many of my favorites in this show).


Postage Birds by Joy Denk, quilting by Jane Plisga
Joy stated that this quilt was originally intended as a gift for her Mom who has always been fascinated by birds as well as for her Father who worked for the post office (hence the postage stamps).  She made the original quilt larger so as to fit her Mom's nursing home bed, but after completing it, was concerned that it may disappear too easily so she decided to keep it herself as a lovely reminder of her parents.  So sad that her fear is a well-founded one (I made several replacement blankets and throws for my grandmother during her years in a nursing home).  I love that Joy kept it herself as it is a beautiful memento of her parents.
detail of Postage Birds, by Joy Denk
I can remember spying this fabric on the bolt in a shop, but had no idea what I would ever do with it.  Perhaps this is why I enjoy it so, plus I absolutely love the colors and the birds and the postage stamps and all.


detail Pretty Dresses by Marie Robinson, quilted by Barb Knoblock
This quilt won Honorable Mention in the Wall Quilt Applique, 2 person division.  The pattern is called Pretty Dresses from Black Mountain Quilts.  This quilt is a result of an applique class taught by Sylvi Sealy that Marie took shortly after arriving in Houston from Australia.  She used a freezer paper/hand stitch technique to applique the dresses made from Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  It is delightful, even though only a sliver of it shows in the photo above (my full image was too blurry to share).



Amish with a Twist by Debra North
Amish with a Twist began as a Block of the Month by Quilt 'n Sew quilt shop.  It is not your traditional sampler quilt ...... Debra added the pieced and appliqued border "just to make it more attractive". 
detail of Amish with a Twist by Debra North
I love the bright-brights, the appliqued flowers and most of all that her additional border has offset corner designs.


Bali Tiles I by Sharon Dixon
Sharon stitched this quilt from the book Tiles Play by Cozy Quilt Design.  The quilting pattern is Swirly Gig by Judy Allen.  Sharon won first place for the Bed Size Pieced, MQ, one person category.
Bali Tiles I with Sharon Dixon

Sharon has quilted many quilts for me over the years.  She also does t-shirt quilts and crown Royal quilts along with her longarm service.  Check out her website http://www.katytshirtquilts.com/.


Sharon also made the quilt below using more of her Bali Tiles.  Click here to order your own fabric Bali Tiles to own....
Bali Tiles II  by Sharon Dixon, quilted by Linda T. Minton
This quilt is adapted from Shadow Box online tutorial by Jean Madan.  Hmmm, I may need to make a variation of this pattern for myself too.  Sharon loved the Bali Tiles so much that she insisted on making two quilts!  Linda Teddlie Minton, a dear friend of Sharon's (and someone I know as well!) quilted this for Sharon.  Follow Linda's art on her blog http://fiberreflections.blogspot.com/.



The West Houston Quilters Guild had fun planning for this quilt show.  This is evident with the lovely wall decorations of classic quilt blocks, all drawn on point.

Isn't this a delightful way to line the outer walls of their quilt show?  I am not certain, but my guess is that there are no duplicate blocks appearing on this long banners.

I wonder how many worked diligently on creating this handcrafted wall borders?  Job well done to the WHQG quilt show planners and worker bees.




2 comments:

PCook said...

The wall decoration was done by one person, and you are right - there are no duplicates. It took her about six months researching old blocks we don't see many of anymore.

Winter Wanderings said...

Wow! Such an excellent idea & even more impressive that one person created these long banners!