Saturday, March 28, 2015

Modern Rainbow Blog Tour

 
Becca Bryan's Modern Rainbow three week blog tour has begun.  Visit a few blogs and enter your chance to win a copy of her colorful book.

I met Becca through the Houston Modern Quilt Guild and tested a pattern for her last Fall, Trilobite Cats shown here.
Trilobite Cats
At the time I made my rainbow trilobite cats, I had no idea that Becca's new book being published by Stash Books was about using colors of the rainbow in quilts. 
 
Imagine my surprise when I saw her five quilts on display at QuiltCon (four were juried into the show and the fifth was on display in a booth) and learned that this is the theme of her book.

Rainbow Remix by Rebecca Bryan

Rainbow Remix was inspired by quilts made by the Quilters of Ghee's Bend.  Becca gives directions in how to make this quilt more wonky or less wonky, leaving it to your preference.  To get started,  gather 10" squares of fabric ... in fifty different solid colors.

detail of Huckleberry by Rebecca Bryan
Here is a detail view of Huckleberry to see the exquisite quilting, a true example that quilting makes the quilt. This is the quilt featured on her blog tour logo, showing the entire color wheel with 72 different solids.

Ducks in a Row by Rebecca Bryan, quilted by Angela Walters
I love this quilt from its' name to the scrappy low volume background to the colorful "ducks".  Becca says this quilt was inspired by a textile on display in a Houston restaurant.  Yes, inspiration to create comes from anywhere and everywhere.  One only needs to look ....

Which may explain why I love to wander among the quilts at quilt shows, looking and admiring and soaking up inspiration.  On the last morning of QuiltCon 2015, I bumped into Patty Sloniger, a friend and designer for Michael Miller fabrics and she mentioned that Becca was giving a free lecture in 10 minutes. Quickly, I finished snapping a few final photos and hurried to get a seat.  Becca's talk was all about color, of course. 
She shared guidelines to think about when playing color and showed early blocks that were reworked differently before going into her book - a good lesson that not every idea works perfectly on the first go-around.

I enjoyed her presentation and afterwards zoomed directly to Stash Books where I spied Wavelength, the quilt that graces the cover of her book. 

Wavelength by Rebecca Bryan, quilted by Angela Walters
 
Now back to her blog tour, yesterday's featured blog was Sally's Angel Works, my friend Sally Keller, the current President of the Houston Modern Quilt Guild.  Sally shared a quilt she made from Becca's book. 
Irish + by Sally Keller
This is Sally's version of Irish +.
 

Here are all the stops on the Modern Rainbow Blog Tour.

Stop by and visit as many as you can -- because each have been given a copy of this book to giveaway (International visitors will be sent an electronic copy).

March 23rd             C&T/ Stash Books
March 24th             Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt
March 25th             Generation Q Magazine
March 26th             Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane 
March 27th  Sally Keller of Sally’s Angelworks
 
March 30th            Amy Garro of 13 Spools
March 31st            Angela Walters of Quilting is my Therapy
April 1st                Rebecca over at Craft Buds
April 2nd               Sara Lawson of Sew Sweetness
April 3rd               Sarah Craig of Confessions of a Fabric Addict
 
April 6th                Janice Zeller Ryan of Better Off Thread
April 7th                Beth Vassalo of Plum and June
April 8th                Nicole Daksiewicz of Modern Handcraft
April 9th                Giuseppe Ribaudo @giucy_giuce
April 9th                Shannon Brinkley of Bottle Tree Quilts
 
April 10th              Rebecca Bryan at Bryan House Quilts

I cannot decide which quilt I want to make first from this book.  Possibly this one ...
Flame by Rebecca Bryan
Flame, or The Impossible Rainbow, or Rainbow Remix, or MonStar, or Scattered, or Icarus Star, or .... Hmmm, how to decide?
Which quilt appeals to you? 

No comments: