Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Learning to draw and doodle

One of the new things I am trying this year is to doodle and draw more, 
possibly even a little bit every day!

Through Insta-Gram I found Lisa Congdon and learned she was leading a daily drawing challenge for the month of January through Creative Bug ..... I did not stop go, I immediately signed up for Lisa's class, The 31-Day Drawing Challenge!

On the first day, Day 1, we learned to draw a Tree.  Just a tree.
I love drawing trees!


Lisa demonstrated four different styles of tree-drawing, but I filled my page before I even watched her instructional video.  I added a few more in her style, too.   I used a pencil for this first day of drawings .... again, I jumped in before I looked at the suggested supplies.  I do have much to learn.


Day 2 is all about drawing Teacups.


I drew using Lisa's style first, after watching her lesson, too.   Then I pulled out some of my grandmother's teacups as well as some of my favorite coffee mugs.  I used my pencil again, but then traced over my favorites using an ink pen which is skipping.  Perhaps it is running dry?


Next is Chairs.


This assignment was the most difficult so far (out of all three lessons, so far).  I persevered and practiced drawing Lisa's versions before adding a few chairs found in my home (rocking chair, recliner, dining room chair).  I ditched my pencil too (but with much trepidation!).  Amazing how much clearer my drawings appear when sketched with ink rather than pencil lead, isn't it?

The morning after I drew my page of chairs, I drove past this painted advertisement featuring chairs!

It is on the route I drive regularly getting my teenagers to and from their high school.  Love that there is a bird on it (ala Portlandia!).

 

Day 4 is Leaf.


I can draw a leaf - but adding that jagged edge was tricky.  Perhaps it's because my pen is running dry so have of the jags didn't have the connected jig.  I love photographing this assignment using my Maple Leaf quilt as a backdrop.


The next day is a lesson drawing a Rose.  I can hardly wait!

I look forward to each lesson, though I am now a day (or two) behind.  I will end here so I can catch up on my drawing lessons.  This is just the beginning of my new year and promise to nourish my own interests.


Learn more about Lisa Congdon through her website http://lisacongdon.com/ or follow her (like I do) on InstaGram (@LisaCongdon).

You may also enjoy looking at all the many classes offered on Creative Bug's website https://www.creativebug.com/.

Or just join me on this 31-Day-Drawing Challenge.  It is fun!

No comments: