Saturday, October 17, 2009

Antique Folk Art Quilt

Along with the acclaimed juried IQA Quilt Competition, the International Quilt Festival has many other special exhibits featuring a variety of other quilts. Today I am featuring one of my favorite quilts from the Quilt Festival Antique Quilts display.



This Folk Art quilt is a classic antique quilt in that we do not know who the original quilter was, so we must credit an unknown maker. What an excellent reminder to today's quilt artists to sign & date your work!



Dating to the 19th century (c. 1800), this quilt was made with hand-stitched piecing and applique. It features a wide variety of natural dyed fabrics and measures 81" by 84 1/2".


I especially love the baskets and the manner in which the brown border frames the center of quilt. I can only wonder what the original coloration must have been, as colors dating back 200 years have faded long ago from their original brilliance.


On another note ...


Have you ever seen a better looking group of sisters?

What a delightful surprise and treat it was when they showed up in the booth today! I have had great fun meeting so many new people/new friends during the show, as well as running into my quilting and fiber art friends (some new and some old). But my family is the best!




Wonder who will pop by the Graywood Designs booth or the Thangles booth tomorrow? Only time will tell .....

or I will ... later....

No comments: