Monday, October 19, 2009

A Japanese favorite

The quilters in Japan are meticulous in their art, creating wonderful works often crafted by hand. Today's featured quilt from is from the IQF exhibit of Prize Winning Quilts from International Quilt Week Yokohama 2008, sponsored by The Quilt Week Executive Committee. This quilter, Shiori Yamada, is from Shimane, Japan.



Flower Calendar
by
Shiori Yamada

It is a sampler quilt -- each block is different -- and features both pieced and appliqued components. I believe it is hand-quilted. In fact, I am wondering if this quilt is all stitched by hand, as several Japanese quilts are entirely hand-sewn.



Here is a detail of two blocks. Note the finely pieced sashing and borders. These pieces are quite minute in size, perhaps that is why I admire this quilt..... it is a large quilt made of many miniature ones.


Another detail photo. I love the tilted basket filled with embroidered flowers. The quilter has added beading with the embroidery for additional texture and detail.



One last view of her block of spools and flowers.
In her Artist Statement, Shiori lists her design source as being "Basket and spool blocks" adding further:


Seeing the basket and spool blocks I made before,
I decided to make a quilt with them.
I added flowers in baskets to get warmth.
Beads gave this quilt unity and a cheerful look."


I find Flower Calendar to be quite delightful. The more I look, the more I see, and the more I see, the more I want to look!

No comments: