Monday, October 26, 2009

Camping and Knitting

Inspired by the quirky hand-knit socks that are everywhere (or so it seems), I have wanted to learn the secrets of knitting for eons. During the recent Quilt Festival, I persuaded Danielle and Wanda to teach me how to knit, even though I am a leftie and they are both expert right-handed knitters. Undaunted, they simply taught me to knit as a righty. However, it was not so easy (at least for me). So they showed me how to Continental Knit (work is done with the right needle while the yarn comes off the left-hand). This I love! I knit a few sampler squares during Festival, and have started a bonafide project. While it is not a pair of socks .....


it is the beginnings of my first knit scarf. The pattern is the Easy Ribbed Scarf by Graywood Designs. I love the soft variegated colors in the wool yarn, Lanaloft (Coral Reef) by Brown Sheep Company in Nebraska.


I began this over the week-end while camping with the Scouts at Camp Strake. The weather was absolutely gorgeous! Perfect for camping and canoeing.

My tent is nestled among the trees, early Saturday morning. Misty fog is rising from the lake. A chilly, nippy morning it was, too.

Here are half the Scouts, as they gear up for a canoeing relay race. Meanwhile, I'm on the shore, happily knitting away.

--~-- ~--~ --~-- ~--~ --~-- ~--~ --~-- ~--~ --~-- ~--~ --~--
P.S. There are loads of websites and YouTube videos teaching how to knit, just as Danielle and Wanda promised. Enjoy this post by another lefty-knitter or this site (by knittinghelp.com), which has video-teaching demos of both "ways" of knitting and much more.

1 comment:

Wanda Eichler said...

Ah yes, knitting and camping. . .a great combination, Cathy. Thank you for mentioning Graywood Designs. Danielle and I really enjoyed teaching you some first knitting machinations in Houston. Good luck! I'm even practicing the left hand carry again.

Wanda